February 2 @ 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
One event on Jan 12, 2019 at 3:00pm
One event on Feb 2, 2019 at 3:00pm
Your regular weekly appointment to work on mobility, strength and endurance.
The class format is such that allows participants of all levels to work at their own pace. A typical class will be split into the following parts:
Part 1 – Full body foundation warm up and conditioning. Focus on joint mobility and strength endurance
Part 2 – Movement and flow practice. This will typically cover one (or more) of the following elements
- Locomotion: Animal flow and quadrupedal movement patterns such as the beetle, monkey, bear, crab, cat, tiger, lizard, horse etc. Locomotion is used for conditioning on various martial arts and sports disciplines and focuses on the activation and use of fascia i.e. the connecting tissue between the skin and the muscles, rather than muscle isolation exercises.
- Mobility: The basic range of movements for a typical adult will include sitting, standing, lying and transitions from on to the other. This is a significantly reduced range compared to what any toddler is capable of (if you don’t believe us ask your parents). Mobility exercises will allow you to trace and rediscover natural human movement patterns (such as deep squats, thoracic spine extensions, hamstring stretches, scapula mobilizations, joint misalignment patterns etc.) that are essential to the human condition and health.
- Strength: Focus on how you can use your own bodyweight to develop foundational strength for future progress. We will use a number of strength conditioning elements, such as isometrics for bend and straight arm, core, and lower body strength, from various disciplines (i.e. gymnastics, calisthenics, and parkour conditioning) to help develop a base level of bodyweight strength.
- Balance: Here we work on proper alignment, eye positioning, proprioception and the importance of breathing in balance. We will progress from basic balance positions such as one leg balance, and frog stance to various handstand positions.
- Floreio: Means “flourish” and refers to a set of specific Capoeira movements (such as relógio, pião de mão, and pião de cabeça, role, au cortado, corta capim, rotations into low and high bridge, and QDRs). These movements require a combination of strength, mobility and balance.
Part 3 – Cool down and stretching. Focus on gradual relaxation, and stretching for improved flexibility and slowing down your heart rate.
Part 4 – Smile! Remember to smile and enjoy the class. We are here to rediscover our inner monkeys, meet like-minded people and have fun! Also, smiling is an excellent way to work your abs – true story!
Price for 90 minute session – £10
First session – FREE (please send Aristotelis a message on meetup to get your free pass – link below)
Discounted price for students – £7 (please send Aristotelis a message on meetup to get discount code – link below)
BOOKING Please register and RSVP on the event via our meetup group